2.2.11

Mrs.Field's SUPERFUDGEBROWNIES and prostitution

I've been thinking...would you call modeling "facial prostitution"? I mean, it's using your face to make money right? "Hi, I'm a facial prostitute". But by that logic, you would call other professions "brain prostitution" because you use your brain to make money! Hm. Lame/doesn't make sense? Ok thought so. Plus extremely unrelated to brownies. Which trump prostitution any day!

I am on Team Fudgey as far as brownies go...I like things rich (like my men ((hehe sorry boyfriend! lets see how long it takes for you to notice this)) ), decadent and very sweet. I've found that brownies/cookies that use melted chocolate and butter instead of cocoa powder produce a chewier, richer and fudgier texture.

I've been scouring different brownie recipes recently looking for lots of melted chocolate, butter, sugar and eggs with very little flour. I was flipping through the Mrs.Field's Cookie Book (which does not include the recipe for her famous chocolate chip cookies sorry!) and came across her recipe for Super Fudge Brownies. I'll be honest, the cookie book looks like it's from the 80s or something with funky pictures and a kind of un-interesting layout. Normally I don't like trying recipes that are in recipes books with weird aesthetics (recipe-book-discrimination, sorry) but I loved that her brownie recipe did not include any leavening agents and fit what I was looking for. So I tried it ...and loved it.

You know a brownie recipe is fudgey when it looks like fudge- the candy. Anyone on Team Fudgey would absolutely adore these brownies. They are dense, rich, and almost melt in your mouth. They remind me of a flourless chocolate cake with a truffle-like texture and deep, dark chocolate taste.

It's too bad that I have to wear coconuts on Friday or else I'd eat the whole pan.

Super Fudge Brownies
Mrs.Fields Cookie Book

6 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup salted butter, softened
4 large eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
pinch salt
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

Yield: 16 brownies (2 inch squares)

1. Pre-heat oven to 300F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
2. Combine unsweetened baking chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until pieces are almost melted. Remove from heat and stir until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs until light yellow in color- about 5 minutes. Add sugar and blend on low until thoroughly combined.
4. Add vanilla and melted chocolate to the egg and sugar mixture. Blend on low speed until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add flour and pinch salt. Mix thoroughly.
5. Pour batter into greased pan. Smooth surface with a spatula and spirnkle uniformly with chocolate chips. Bake on the center rack of oven for 45-55 minutes. The batter should be set and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Do not overbake.
6. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. To cut brownies, dip a sharp knife in hot water and wipe dry. Use warm knife to slice brownies. Serve chilled.


20 comments:

  1. Yay team Fudgey! These are definitely "taste prostitutes" as the way they taste will bring in DA money. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I told you that I love you?! And I'm so in love with your blog I can't believe I neglected to read your past few posts. Love love love the comments, suggestions and side remarks. Keep doin what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw its nic...fellow coconut wearer and foodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these. Followed as stated and no changes and mine doesnt look anything like the photo! :-( my chocolate chips melted down into the brownie and the color of brownie is light. Havent tried it yet, but looks nothing like the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure the heat wasn't too high on the stove when you were melting - this could be why!

      Delete
  5. Made these, came out exactly as pictured. My mistake was not greasing the pan, so they stuck a little. I figured with 2 sticks of butter in the recipe I wouldn't need to grease the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry some of the brownie was lost to your pan. I hope you enjoyed the part that didn't stick :)

      Delete
  6. Made these and it took so long to make, put it at 300 and in an 8X8 pan and it's been over an hour and half and still not cooked. Haven't tasted it but feel like it was too much batter. Will try it one more time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much unsweetened baking chocolate do you use in this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says 6 oz...

      Delete
    2. Recipe says 6 oz of semi sweet chocolate. How much unsweetened baking chocolate?

      Delete
    3. Never mind. Saw the other 6 oz at top left of picture. It got separated from 'unsweetened choc'

      Delete
  8. Just made these and it was like heaven in your mouth! I'm on team fudgy also and these ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids have dubbed these heaven brownies. They are excellent. I puy mine in the freezer overnight then they are cold fudgey and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should submit that name-change to Mrs.Fields! I agree - frozen brownies = better brownies!

      Delete
  10. I am not a semi sweet chip fan, would milk choc chips work just as well??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so, but I would use a little less sugar since milk chips are sweeter than semi-sweet

      Delete
  11. My grandkids call these Heaven brownies, and i agree. I do use alittle less sugar though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Frankie, my name is vickie, I'm cooking for 25 people, would this recipe work if I dubbed or triple it and would the temperature and time stay the same,
    Thank you for the wonderful recipe, Vickie

    ReplyDelete