3.12.09

Creme Brulee Ice Cream


If I've ever said "____ is the best thing I've ever made or had in my entire life" then that was a LIE! LIE LIE LIE!

A year or so ago my roommate and I walked to the grocery store and she bought a pint of Ben & Jerry's Creme Brulee ice cream. By the time we got back to our apartment which was only a few blocks away, she had eaten the entire thing trying to explain to me something about how it was the most amazing ice cream ever and the taste of egg/crunchy toffee pieces gave her a warm happy feeling inside. I had no idea what she was talking about.

A few days ago was Cuisine Club's first event/potluck. It's the week before finals so I knew I wanted to make something that I at least had all the ingredients for here at home. I came across this recipe and for some strange reason, my Creme-Brulee-ice-cream-loving roommate had a bottle of heavy cream in the fridge that she didn't need. So this ice cream was born out of my kitchen and let me tell you, it's AMAZING. The only 'special' ingredient you would probably need to buy is heavy cream but everything else is common- eggs, sugar, vanilla. The base tastes like a very very soft and rich slightly egg-y ice cream while the crunch from the sugar toffee compliments it perfectly. It's rich, creamy, soft and sweet similar to cold stone's ice cream. The custard is DEAD EASY to make so if you're a creme brulee fan you have no excuse not to make this. Oh and don't try to say something about not having an ice cream machine because Dave Lebovitz has very simple instructions on how to make ice cream WITHOUT a machine here. Yeah, that's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment